Evanston Escola de Samba won the Evanston 4th of July parade, so now it’s time to really celebrate. Join us for the Brazilian samba event of the summer on Saturday 7/28! You better be there, this is EEDS’ last major event until October. Invite your friends! Get ready for Carnaval in July!
When: Saturday 7/28 from 8 PM – 11:45 PM
Where: The Irish American Heritage Center’s Erin Room (4626 N Knox Ave, Chicago, IL 60630).
The night will include samba dance lessons with Dill Costa, samba dancers, bateria (Brazilian percussion) performance, pagode and more!
$10 cash only at the door
Performers: There will be two practices leading up to the event, you must attend at least one to perform at the event:
Wednesday 7/25 at Lane Tech Lawn (2501 W Addison St) 7-10 PM
Friday 7/27 at Lane Tech Lawn (2501 W Addison St) 7-? PM
EEDS took the overall top prize in this year’s Evanston 4th of July Parade, the president’s Cup! Many thanks to everyone who played and supported us! Congratulations to all the other winners and participants – we all had a fantastic time!
hello world! here are some exciting announcements!! MORE DETAILS FORTHCOMING
rehearsals and upcoming gigs:
- 6/4 Bloco Maximo rehearsal 7-8:30 pm @ 2649 n. kildare.
- 6/6 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm @ 2649 n. kildare
- 6/9 EEDS, BM, Oloboom and more perform at Taste of Yates (1839 n. richmond) arrive at 6 pm. play for 60 minutes. may be 7-8 pm or earlier.
- 6/11 BM rehearsal 7-9 pm @ 2649 n. kildare
- 6/13 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm @ 2649 n. kildare
- 6/18 BM rehearsal 7-9 pm @ 2649 n. kildare
- 6/20 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm @ 2649 n. kildare
- 6/21 Make Music Chicago on LT Lawn 6-7:30 (https://www.facebook.com/events/373481543140311/)
- 6/23 606 parade w/ EEDS and Oloboom 3-5 pm. meet at 1805 n. albany. dancers will be joining us.
- 6/24 Pride Parade with Moacyr. Under the name Folia Brasil, Chicago Samba will be participating at the Pride Parade. We are looking for drummers/percussionists and dancers for the event. This will be a parade carnaval style presentation. (https://www.facebook.com/events/415179145614842/)
- 6/27 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm @ 2649 n. kildare
- tuesday 7/3 rehearsal 7-9 pm LANE TECH LAWN in preparation for 4th of july parade
- WEDNESDAY 7/4 meet in Evanston 12:30 pm for parade. unit #55 sector 8. Hastings Ave, along bent park.
- thursday 7/5 ALL rehearsal 7-10 pm at SRBCC 4048 w. armitage with special guest. $20
- friday 7/6 pagode maximo gig TBA 7 pm
- tuesday 7/10 class with Dudu Fuentes 7-9 pm most likely outside on LT lawn
- wednesday 7/11 class with Dudu Fuentes 7-9 pm most likely outside on LT lawn
- thursday 7/12 class with Dudu Fuentes 7-9 pm @ 1757 n. kimball
- friday 7/13 class with Dudu Fuentes 7-9 pm and noemi’s going away party 8:30 pm – 12 am at HER HOUSE.
- saturday 7/15 parade with Dudu for Folk and Roots Festival
- wednesday 7/18 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm at 2649 n. kildare
- sunday 7/22 Evanston ethnic arts festival 5 pm. 30 minute parade.
- wednesday 7/25 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm at Lane Tech Lawn
- friday 7/27 EEDS rehearsal 7-9 pm at Lane Tech Lawn
- saturday 7/28 SAMBA Champions-Only Event and Concert at the Irish-American Heritage Center
- AUGUST BREAK
- sunday 9/9 Evanston Streets Alive 1:30 – 2 pm Performance
all normal EEDS classes are $10. special guest rehearsals will be specified closer to event and exact locations will be specified closer to event. the date and time frames will not change. most rehearsals will take place at kildare studios, LT lawn, Quilombo, and maybe my church. ALL details are tentative and subject to change. time frames are suggestions. happy practicing! call or text me if you have a question. i am on summer break friday 6/22 at 6:00 am.
hello! here is an updated glance at classes and events! all classes 7-8:30 pm (2649 n. kildare) unless noted. hit me up if you have a question. reed – 608.434.3173
march classes: 7th, 21st, 28th, SAT 31st @ quilombo 1-3
april classes: 4th, SAT 7th rehearsal 1-3 and gig @ quilombo 8pm, 11th, 18th, 25th,
may classes: 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd.
june classes: 6th, 13th, thursday 21st?, 27th
july classes: 3rd, parade on the 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th, SHOW ON THE 28th
special events: april 7th 20th anniversary show at quilombo, june 21st make music, july 4th parade, july 28th show.
classes will resume in january. 1/10, 1/17, 1/24, 1/31, 2/7, 2/14, 2/21, 2/28. more information forthcoming.
all classes held at 2649 n. kildare from 7-8:30 pm. e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608.434.3173.
huge gig with john beard, david chelimsky and dill costa december 2nd at Fulton Street Collective. 8 pm (https://www.facebook.com/events/1362900437152666/)
please get ready for 4th of july parade in evanston!
only 2 more wednesday bateria rehearsals left (the 21st and 28th) @ SRBCC 7:30-9pm. 4048 w. armitage. most likely will be performing all numbered breaks (1-6) thumb break and baiana. bateria members will need an EEDS shirt, white pants/shorts, pleasant attitude, and appropriate swing feel.
working on scheduling another rehearsal with the dancers. TBA.
trying to finalize our theme with “evanston’s heroes are america’s heroes: our first responders.” the bateria is going with a fireman theme. a few surprises are in store. will need to assemble on central street in evanston at our assigned location at 12:30 pm. parade is at 2 pm. we are working on a 5 pm post-hang gig and celebration.
Announcing EEDS Carnaval 2017!
May 5th, 7-10pm, Irish American Heritage Center (4626 N. Knox Ave.)
We will also be having 2 workshops (May 3rd & 4th) with Mestre Jorge Alabê
$25 each, Cash only at door, Segundo Ruiz Belvis Cultural Center (4048 W. Armitage Ave.)
RSVP here: Workshop 1 (May 3rd), Workshop 2 (May 4th)
Tickets for May 5th: $20 in advance, $25 at the door (Cash Only)
$10 for children 7-12 — Children 6 and under are free!
Buy your tickets here!
Our gig is Sunday July 17th at 12 pm! Dawes Park! 1700 Sheridan Road, Evanston. #Boom
call time is 11 am. white pants and EEDS shirt. If you do not have a shirt e-mail email@example.com with your preferred size. the samba van is leaving SRBCC (4048 w. armitage) around 10:15 am with room for 11 people, drums, coolers full of water and more, and great friendship! contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot in the van. title the e-mail “samba van confirmation request.” right now i have spots for kelson, sergio, gloria, eudald, and michael covington.
REPERTOIRE: Last Rehearsal is this Wednesday July 13th 7-9 pm.
-Rio Style Samba with the appropriate Swing Feel
-Breaks 1,2,3,4,5 and 6.
-Jorge Break “Butterfly”
-EEDS classic break “All of Shoulder”
-Baiana and Gerais Break (Gerais Break, Gerais Mangueira, Gerais 12 – 8)
all tracks here (https://soundcloud.com/evanston-escola-de-samba/tracks)
Oi gente! Join EEDS for our annual Carnaval on Saturday, April 2! We will have drumming, dancing, food, Brazilian guest artist Mestre Jorge Alabê, Harlem Samba from New York and even more! Help spread the word by sharing our Facebook event and inviting your friends!
Where: 4048 w. Armitage (Segundo Ruiz Belvis Cultural Center)
When: 6pm-12am, Saturday, April 2
Schedule for the night (times are subject to change):
- 6 – Doors Open
- 7 – International Capoeira Angola Foundation – Chicago
- 7:45 – Oloboom
- 8 – Harlem Samba
- 8:40 – Eastern Illinois University Samba
- 9 – Evanston Escola de Samba with Jorge Alabê, Dill Costa, John Beard, David Chelimsky, Bateria Quilombola and more…
- 10:15 – Bloco Maximo
Tickets: $15 in advance for adults, $20 cash only at the door, $10 for children 7-12 (cash only at the door), and free for children 6 or under. Buy tickets in advance with a Credit Card or PayPal here and save.
Also, join us before the show for TWO percussion classes with Brazilian master percussionist Jorge Alabê. This is a rare opportunity! (you can attend one or both classes – they are $25 each):
Weds March 30 Class: Samba Class 1 w/ Jorge Alabê
Fri April 1 Class: Samba Class 2 w/ Jorge Alabê
Oi gente! As the rest of the world celebrates Mardi Gras, EEDS is committed to keeping the Carnaval spirit going. We will be rehearsing every week, with a special set of workshops leading into the big day (April 2nd).
Classes are every Wednesday, 7-8:30 unless noted otherwise.
Fee: $12/class (Rates negotiable for all college and high school students. Work study options are available as well.)
Check out the schedule below:
Spring 2016 Schedule (all sessions are 7-8:30 unless noted):
Feb. 10, 17, 24
Mar. 2, 9, 16, 23 (March 23rd a lot of people will be joining us!!!)
March 30th and April 1—Workshops with Jorge Alabe 7-9 pm ($25 cash each)
April 2—EEDS CARNAVAL 2016 (Time TBA)
Everything will take place at our rehearsal space at Segundo Ruiz Belvis Cultural Center (4048 W. Armitage)
Check out recordings of the songs, breaks, and calls that we will be rehearsing on our Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/evanston-escola-de-samba